Well....stubborn stratus & fog led to a temp. bust Fri. as temps. stayed cool. Sun as close as Ocala & Gainesville pushed temps. well into the 70s & there was enough sun in SE Ga. to send temps. into the low 70s. As I posted in Thu.'s blog, such a scenario was not unforseen. We'll continue to battle early morning fog & low clouds this weekend followed by afternoon sun. When (if) the clouds break, temps. will quickly warm. It does look like winds -- especially in the upper levels -- will be a little stronger which should lead to generally better "mixing" in the atmosphere which should allow for more sun. At the same time, low level winds -- especially Sat. -- will be from the east off a cool Atlantic. Such a combination can keep clouds longer, especially near the coast. By Sun.-Mon., surface winds will increase, too which should add up to very warm temps., especially Mon. when record or near record warmth will occur.
A front will bring a few light showers later Tue. followed by cooler temps. for the middle of the week. A following upper level disturbance could lead to somewhat more significant rain Wed.
This months night skies -- click here for more info. from NASA: Starry fireworks end the year with a bang and the Geminid meteor shower is usually one of the best of the year with up to 120 meteors per hour predicted.
Earth Gauge: Which Tree for Me?
There are many options to consider when choosing a Christmas tree for your home, including a fresh cut tree, an artificial tree or a living tree. Fresh cut trees are grown on Christmas tree farms, an acre of which provides the daily oxygen requirements of 18 people and contributes other benefits to the environment such as improving air and water quality. Although cut trees cannot be replanted, they can often be recycled or turned into compost. Another option is an artificial tree, which prevents in-home tree allergies, is reusable and can last many years. However, artificial trees cannot be recycled and are often made with polyvinyl chloride (PVC) plastic – a product that can cause air pollution during its production and contain traces of lead. Finally, living, un-cut Christmas trees are a third option. Living trees are those that still have their roots and can be replanted outdoors after the holidays.
Tip: If you choose to buy a cut Christmas tree, find a local treecycling program. Recycled trees can serve many uses, such as garden mulch and wildlife habitat. In choosing an artificial tree, be sure to read warning labels carefully. If you choose a living, un-cut holiday tree, be sure that it is a species native to your area; this will increase its chances of survival when you replant it in your yard. Many living Christmas trees are grown in cool climates – different from the warmer, more humid conditions in your living room. So, be sure to leave it in a protected outdoor area for a few days before bringing it indoors and again before replanting it.
· Caring for your tree
· How-To Guide to Treecycling
(Sources: University of Illinois Extension. “Christmas Tree Facts.”; National Christmas Tree Association; Earth 911: “Real vs. Artificial Christmas Trees,” and “How-To Guide to Treecycling)
Climate Number: 19 Named Storms
Link - here.
The official 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season is now over. Compared to the 30-year average of 12 named storms per year, 2012 was above-normal with 19 named storms, but not an exceptional year. Ten of these storms became hurricanes (annual average is six hurricanes). Only one storm, Michael, became a major hurricane (annual average is three major hurricanes), reaching category three strength. Michael formed in the open Atlantic Ocean where it also dissipated. 2012 marked the second year in a row that the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast were hit by a named storm, with Post-tropical Cyclone Sandy making landfall at New Jersey and bringing record storm surge levels to New York’s Battery Park, among other locations. The NOAA 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook released in late May gave a 50 percent chance of a near normal season, a 25 percent chance of an above normal season and a 25 percent chance of a below normal season. The variable conditions in the tropical Pacific Ocean constitute a big source of uncertainty in the Atlantic hurricane seasonal outlooks. In May, warm El Niño conditions looked to be developing there. The El Niño never came, however, nor did the associated vertical wind-shear over the Atlantic, which discourages tropical cyclone formation. The lack of vertical wind-shear may have contributed to the above average season. Uncertainty in the outlooks also comes from the potential different combinations of storm types that can arise given the same conditions. For example, conditions favorable to hurricane formation can spawn several smaller storms or one or two big storms. Besides the tropical Pacific, there are other less predictable sources of variability that affect the vertical wind shear over the Atlantic. Other important variables for hurricane formation, such as sea-surface temperatures, atmospheric moisture, disturbances and dominant weather patterns are also difficult to predict several months in advance.
(Source: NOAA. “Busy 2012 hurricane season continues decades-long high activity era in the Atlantic.” 29 November 2012. Accessed Online 2 December 2012 and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. “NOAA 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook.” 24 May 2012. Accessed Online 2 December 2012)
Climate in the News: “Drought hurt Christmas trees yet to come.” – StarTribune, December 3, 2012 – Minnesota’s Christmas tree industry has been hurt by the recent drought.
Have a great & safe weekend....the "Buresh Blog" returns to regular daily posts.