First Alert Weather Alert: Flood Warning expires at 8:00 PM on 4/28, issued at 10:03 AM Bryceville, FL | Callahan, FL | Fernandina Beach, FL | Glen Saint Mary, FL

Bond set for Middleburg mother charged with manslaughter in son's death

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 1/25 9:02 pm
MIDDLEBURG, Fla. -- A Clay County mother is in jail on aggravated manslaughter charges in the death of her 23-month-old son. On Saturday, a judge set her bond at $250,003.

Kathern Christina Powell also faces a charge of culpable negligence.

Deputies responded to a call from the victim's grandmother at a home on Song Sparrow Drive last December.

The grandmother told investigators that the toddler's mother found him unconscious and lying face-down in his crib.

Emergency doctors at the hospital found opiates in his blood and urine. A week later the boy died.

The Medical Examiner ruled the boy's death as a homicide. The cause was acute bronchopneumonia following drug toxicity.

Doctors identified the narcotic as hydromorphone hydrochloride, a prescribed Schedule II opioid narcotic used in the treatment for pain.
Share
4 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of Action News Jacksonville

TreysMommy7 - 1/25/2014 1:47 PM
0 Votes
She probably gave him the drug for the same reason other people have given infants drugs... to shut them up or make them sleep. Unfortunately all it makes them do is shut up and go to sleep FOREVER! If these moms aren't prepared to deal with the crying, sleepless nights, and work it takes after having a child, then they should CLOSE THEIR LEGS or give the baby up to someone who IS prepared to deal with the responsibility of raising an infant!! I have a son who is ALMOST 7 years old now and when he was a baby, I'm not saying it was EASY, but I would have NEVER even THOUGHT to give him ANY KIND of drugs for ANY REASON! In fact, I did what MOST NORMAL PEOPLE DO, which is FREAK OUT about having to give him any kind of medicine because they're so little and you gotta watch what you give an infant and HOW MUCH of something you give to an infant. I freaked out about giving him baby asprin because even THATS dangerous and can harm the infant if taken the wrong way or by not following the dosage chart exactly! People that do this to helpless children should be put away forever! -.-

angels072258 - 1/25/2014 9:53 AM
0 Votes
The baby is no longer suffering and is in the arms of Jesus. Such a shame.

miranda1970 - 1/24/2014 11:29 PM
0 Votes
How utterly disgusting. This child died from bronchial pneumonia, easily treatable-but followed by drug toxicity as per cause of death. He was toxic for Dilaudid...I hope he haunts her every single day of her miserable life.

biblelady2 - 1/24/2014 5:22 PM
1 Vote
Taking drugs like that may have clouded her judgement. Let's hope her actions can be blamed on that. Otherwise, this woman should be left in jail forever.
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.