JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A tree deemed dangerous by the city more than a month ago is still standing in Mandarin.
Back in June, a tree marked for removal by the city crushed a teenager and paralyzed him for life. Since our investigation shed light on the danger, the city has worked overtime to remove more than a hundred hazardous trees. We have learned one tree marked dangerous is still standing.
"X" marks the spot. A city tree in Mandarin is marked because the city deemed it dangerous. It stands near a park on Chrysler Drive. Action News learned the first complaint came two years ago, but neighbors tells us a bright orange "x" was only put there two weeks ago.
If that sounds familiar, it's because 15-year-old Aubrey Stewart was paralyzed when a tree limb came crashing down on him in his neighborhood. The tree had been marked for trimming, but it was still a danger a full nine months after the first complaint. Even three weeks after Aubrey was hurt, the tree still stood until Action News put pressure on the city to do something about it.
Since August 22nd, we've learned 175 dangerous trees have been taken down all across the city. Mayor Alvin Brown added $375,000 to the budget to remove unsafe trees. That makes neighbors like Nancy Rebenack feel a little more secure. "I think it's great. I applaud the mayor for making the money available to do it," said Rebenack.
There is an area on the city's website to check the status of a tree that's been reported. Action News checked the status of the Chrysler Drive tree on that website. It says the job was completed last month, but the tree is still marked and still standing. The city tells Action News they are looking into the issue and should have more information for us Friday.