JACKSONVILLE, Fla.--When Taki Starkes-Parrish walked into her learning center last month, she knew something was wrong.
"It was smelling of sweet, burning," she said.
Twenty little ones were inside napping. After some quick investigation, and a report that one of them wasn't feeling well, Starkes-Parrish made the decision to get them out.
"Looked in the stove. It was nothing. Looked in the refrigerator, nothing. At that point, I told my staff we need to evacuate," she explained.
After showing up on scene, the fire department discovered a generator had been left running in the business next door. Carbon monoxide seeped into the learning center's vents and put the occupants in danger.
Twentykids, a staff member and a volunteer went to the hospital. Twelve of them were admitted, but everyone is OK.
"These children are alive and singing because of Mrs. Starkes," DCF Regional Director David Abramowitz said.
Starkes-Parrish says she appreciates the recognition, but gives kudos to her staff and would do it all again if she had to.
"I'm thankful. I'm very thankful."
In light of the incident, Starkes-Parrish suggests all daycare centers have some form of carbon monixide detectors. She plans on getting hers installed sometime next week.