Eastside fire claims lives of 9 rabbits
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Firefighters say an oven left on is to blame for an apartment fire near the corner of East 15th Street and Phoenix Avenue Saturday afternoon.
The single occupant of the building was able to escape without injury.
Officials at the scene tell Action News the fire apparently started after the man fell asleep with the oven on.
The Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department was able to put the flames out shortly after arriving at the scene.
Firefighters were unable to save the resident's nine rabbits.
Damage is estimated to run as high as $100,000.
Copyright 2013 Cox Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.