JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A local family says a patio candle exploded in a Jacksonville home. 30-year-old Mandy Plato is still in critical condition at UF and Shands Gainesville after 40 percent of her body was burned.
"It's a bomb, you can use it to burn structures. There's nothing on the candle that says it's going to hurt you. It's got no business out there," said Bill Plato.
On Friday, Mandy's parents filed a lawsuit against Marshall Gardens, the candle manufacturer, for at least $15,000 to pay for Mandy's medical costs that continue to grow. They also want these bio-fuel candles off store shelves.
"It's unbelievable. If they saw a picture of my daughter, they would never sell those candles," said Plato.
This candle was recalled from October 2011 through January 2012. And the Platos admit they don't remember when they bought that candle.
"Post until January of 2012. Why only January of 2012 when stores are still selling it in December of 2012?" asked attorney Curry Pajcic.
But regardless of when it was bought, they say no one should have to spend their holidays in intensive care for lighting one.
The Platos are now requesting to get information from Marshall Gardens for their case. They say the earliest they expect to go to trial is 16 months from now.