JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office wants to make sure your Halloween is a safe one.
The first thing you want to do before you go out is check the sex offender database. FDLE
both have one.
- Wear costumes that are bright and reflective
- Make sure shoes fit properly
- Make sure costumes are short enough to prevent tripping
- Think twice about using simulated knives and guns
- Put fresh batteries in flashlights
- Show children how to stop-drop-roll in case their costume catches fires
- Purchase individually packaged treats
- Eliminate choking hazards around your home
- Review CPR techniques
- Eat a good meal prior to trick-or-treating will help keep kids from filling up on junk
- Trick-or-treat in a group
- Remain on well-lit streets
- Never cut across yards or use alleys; never run across the street
- Never enter a stranger's home or car for a treat
- Make sure adults check candy at home before consumption
Check out our Halloween 2013 Photo Gallery
. Share your Halloween photos on Facebook, Instagram or use the Action News Mobile App
to send them to us right off your phone.