Man loses hand following fireworks accident
POMPANO BEACH, Fla. — A South Florida man has lost a hand following a fireworks accident.
The Broward Sheriff's Office reports that 41-year-old Shanard Saxon was attempting to modify a firework in the bathroom of his friend's Pompano Beach home Sunday evening when it detonated and blew off part of his hand. Saxon's wife called 911, and rescuers took him to a nearby hospital, where the rest of his hand was amputated at the wrist.
BSO spokesman Mike Jachles says investigators confiscated several thousand dollars' worth of fireworks. He said they were the type of consumer fireworks readily available to the public at retailers throughout Florida.
No charges were immediately filed, but the investigation was ongoing.
Jachles said anyone wanting to see fireworks on the Fourth of July should go to a public display rather than set off fireworks themselves.
Copyright 2013 Cox Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.