First Alert Weather Alert: Flood Warning expires at 10:04 PM on 4/24, issued at 10:04 PM Blackshear, GA | Bristol, GA | Mershon, GA | Millwood, GA

More developments in Barrios case

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 8/27/2009 9:49 am
BRUNSWICK, Ga. -- Christopher Barrios was just six-years-old when he was kidnapped, molested and murdered. His body thrown away like a piece of trash.
     
Now, his family is finally getting some good news. In court Wednesday, a Glynn County judge ruled that statements made to police by one of the suspects, David Edenfield, can be used in next month's trial.

Next month, his family will re-live Barrios' death again, as the first trial for the man accused of killing their son starts. Mark Gelman is representing the family and says they're anxious for the trial to start.
 
"Until they get into that courtroom and see the defendants and hear testimony it's not going to hit them," said Gelman.

But they know it's something they have to do for their son. "In order to get to the end of this, they have to be there and want to be there to get justice for Chris," said Gelman.

It's been two long, tough years for the family with public reminders that keep things fresh in their minds. They faced their son's accused killer in April, but that trial was delayed.
     
Then their son's picture appeared on a soap opera last year. It was used in a General Hospital Nightshift episode. In the midst of getting ready for an emotional trial, the family is getting ready to file a lawsuit against SoapNet for using that picture.

"They were disgusted. They're still disgusted. They had an apology from SoapNet, but never received a possible explanation," said Gelman.
     
But what the family really wants, is an explanation for why this happened to their son. "They're starting to get eager, and excited about getting to trial," said Gelman.

David Edenfield's wife and son are also facing charges in this case. David Edenfield could face the death penalty if convicted.
Share
1 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of Action News Jacksonville

zeeman - 8/27/2009 10:10 AM
0 Votes
I think that the three defendants in this case should all receive the death penalty, and should be dropped head-first, from a tall building onto cement. They could sell tickets!
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.