Jacksonville, Fla.-- A city councilman tell Action News it's likely there may be no lawsuit against the construction company that built the new courthouse.
Councilman Greg Anderson is on the committee working to finally close the book on the courthouse deal with Turner Construction.
"I think we are ready to close this chapter," said Anderson.
Now, after spending another $60,000 in taxpayer money, it looks like the city may not even have a case against the builder.
"At this point, I'm not aware of any red flags," said Anderson.
In 2012, Action News told you the city hired an outside law firm to look into whether a lawsuit should be filed for all the problems. There were fire doors that didn't work, more than a dozen failed fire safety tests, and handicap accessibility problems. It didn't even have a permanent certificate of occupancy for nearly a year.
In October, the city gave Action News invoices showing what work the outside law firm did. The last one was from July of last year and already the $60,000 of your money was spent. The city has nothing to show for it. "Our hope is we can put it behind us," said Anderson.
While the mayor's spokesman said they won't comment on legal strategy, Anderson says the money needed to be spent. "It's better to be safe than sorry," said Anderson.
Action News reached out to the outside law firm Thursday, but they were not able to answer our questions because of attorney-client privilege. Anderson says the city could still decide to file a lawsuit at a future date. Anderson also tells Action News they are hoping to close the contract with Turner in the next two to three weeks.