JACKSONVILLE BEACH, Fla. -- Jacksonville Beach police say they have expended more time and resources than they normally do on a battery case.
Because of that, Action News has learned that they have once again again suspended the investigation into the Memorial Day beach brawl incident.
A verbal argument on the boardwalk escalated into a downright stomping at the beach. Almost three months later, no arrests have been made.
"It's very frustrating. Nobody wanted to make an arrest in this case more than I did," said Chief Patrick Dooley.
Last month, Chief Dooley suspended the investigation, saying the department had exhausted its resources. However, when we spoke with the victim's attorney, he had witnesses ready to reveal new information.
"At this date each one of those individuals have confirmed that they haven't been contacted, and that's very disconcerting," said family attorney Steve A. Smith.
The detectives reopened the case in July as a result.
"They've made a lot of phone calls, many of which are not returned, and when they do return phone calls or are able to contact someone, they're not able to provide us information that other people may say that they're willing to give us," said Dooley.
Action News contacted Smith again on Wednesday, and he said the witnesses were contacted via phone. However, he said they couldn't identify the alleged ring leader seen on the video stomping the victim into the dirt.
Dooley said until someone has concrete evidence or information that leads to an arrest, this investigation will remain at a standstill.