JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Dozens of seniors are without a home after a fire burned the 16th floor of a Riverside apartment building.
The fire happened Sunday at the Riverside Presbyterian Apartments on Oak Street. No one was hurt in the fire, but several units were damaged, forcing many out of their homes. "A lot of people because their apartments were just water logged," says resident Nancie Williams.
The fire started on the 16th floor. According to JFRD, the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction. The building had to be evacuated from the 16th floor down.
Irma Jessie-Wolinski says she was at church at the time. "Everybody was calling me and saying your house is on fire. So I got here and it was a hassle to get into it," she says. And when she got back in, she says her apartment was flooded.
That's what most of the damage crews are dealing with this morning.
And while crews are working hard to clean up the damaged apartments, residents say it'll be some time before everything is back to normal.
"They're with their families but it's going to take a little while to get everything back," says Jessie-Wolinski.
A total of 25 units were damaged in the fire.