First Alert Weather Alert: Flood Warning expires at 10:04 PM on 4/24, issued at 10:04 PM Blackshear, GA | Bristol, GA | Mershon, GA | Millwood, GA

Strong wind topples tree and power lines in St. Marys

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 1/12 12:23 am
ST. MARYS, Ga. -- Strong winds Saturday caused a tree to topple over, leaving nearly 200 Georgia Power customers without power for more than six hours.

A large power line along Dilworth Street was left dangling across Nelson Place. It was ripped off by a large tree that now sits in the front yard of a nearby home.

Ralph Howard and his wife were inside their home when the thunderstorm came barreling through.

"It didn't sound like a train. It sounded like a whistle as it was coming through and it lasted about five minutes," said Howard.

According to the St. Marys Police Department, the first call about a downed tree came at about 4:24 p.m.

Street lights came back on just after 11 p.m. For more than six hours, Howard and the rest of his neighbors had no choice but to wait crews finished fixing the mess left behind.

"My wife was prepared. She had the candles and stuff and we knew where it was all at, the flashlights and our battery powered lantern," said Howard.

According to the St. Marys Police Department, a small fire sparked within the trunk of the tree but firefighters were able to contain it quickly.

A St. Marys police officer shut down Dilworth Street to Gunter Street as crews worked to restore power.

According to the St. Marys Police Department, Georgia Power crews had to replace part of the damaged power lines. This added to the delay in restoring electricity.

0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of Action News Jacksonville

No comments yet!
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.