JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- From puppies to pesky older pooches, some dogs will eat the strangest things! From corn cobs to cash – we’ve now seen it all.
Not only is it life threatening to your dog but it can cost you thousands for an emergency vet visit.
Haans is a 13-week-old adorable puppy and he’s in big trouble. His owner just spent thousands of dollars on what Haans ingested – a massive rock. Another puppy pigged out on a die. It rolled right through him and got stuck in his abdomen.
Affiliated Veterinary Specialists Associate Surgeon Dr. Kevin Benjamino has seen his share of crazy items eaten by dogs.
Benjamino says, “Every vet has their story of finding underwear. It was during my residency and it was underwear, credit cards and about $50 in cash in the dog’s abdomen.”
Benjamino says the most common item he sees when dogs go Dumpster diving is corn cobs. He says, “I always get worried when someone says, my dog got into the trash and there are corn cobs in there.”
In one of his most bizarre recent cases something was stuck between the dog’s second and third rib. The 70-pound pooch swallowed a massive stick. It had been there for six months.
Benjamino was able to pull it out by cutting open a hole in the dogs abdomen. He says the stick was so big it was almost poking through the dog’s side – in fact – it was creating a large wound on the outside that wouldn’t heal. Other items in your home that can cause big problems for your pooch… forks, spoons, rubber ducks and even billiard balls.
Veterinary Pet Insurance, A Nationwide Insurance Company, reports foreign body ingestion as one of the most common claims among policy holders. In one year more than three million dollars in claims were filed for dogs and cats combined.
Benjamino says the best thing to do so you don’t end up dog gone broke – is to basically child or pooch-proof your home. If you think your dog, like Haans, ate something he or she shouldn’t have, get him or her to the vet right away.
Benjamino says, “The earlier, the better.”