JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Family and friends are mourning the loss of Yolanda Fletcher.
The 41-year-old died after being pulled from a burning home on west 10th street Thursday night.
"I think it's awful. I think it's straight awful," said Yolanda's mother LaDaisy Ware.
Yolanda's mother was among those pulled to safety by firefighters, along with other family members and two women living in the top part of the duplex.
"The firefighters got us out. They had to bring a ladder," said Yolanda's neighbor Santeia White.
White says more lives could have been lost.
She says her landlord did not have smoke detectors installed in the duplex to warn them of the fire.
She also said there were no fire extinguishers.
"If we hadn't seen the smoke with our eyes or smelt the fire, if we were asleep it would have been over for us," said White.
The fire marshal's office said the fire started from a candle.
Ware said a candle had been burning because they couldn't afford to pay their bill and were $250 behind.
A JEA spokeswoman said they do have help with payments for those like Ware. Yolanda's mother said she didn't ask JEA for help.
Ware said Benny Jackson, Yolanda's boyfriend, is still in the hospital.
Red Cross is assisting the displaced families.