First Alert Weather Alert: Flood Warning expires at 8:00 AM on 4/18, issued at 10:44 AM Bryceville, FL | Callahan, FL | Fernandina Beach, FL | Glen Saint Mary, FL

2 killers escape Fla. prison with bogus documents

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 10/17/2013 7:14 pm
ORLANDO, Fla. (WFTV) -- A statement released Thursday by State Attorney Jeff Ashton revealed the State Attorney's Office didn't know two convicted killers had been mistakenly released until a victim's family contacted the office.

Joseph Jenkins, 34, and Charles Walker, 34, were in prison following murder convictions. Walker is suppose to be serving a life sentence.

The release started at the Orange County Clerk of Courts Office, which accepted forged documents as authentic and then passed them along to the Florida Department of Corrections, which acted on them.

A quick investigation by Ashton's office found the release of Jenkins and forgeries of multiple signatures.

Ashton said he later learned that Walker had obtained his release after a forged motion and a forged order granting the motion were filed in his court case, as well.

Ashton said he issued an officewide email to his prosecutors, directing them to immediately review records to ascertain whether anyone they prosecuted who was sent to prison had also filed similar forged documents or whether there was any other suspicious court activity.

So far, no additional instances have been found.

The Orange County Clerk of Courts Office, Florida Department of Corrections and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement are trying to find out who is responsible for the forged documents.

Jenkins' case file shows forged documents trying to get him out of his life sentence were first filed in 2011.

The signature for Ashton, then a state prosecutor, was forged onto a bogus motion, authorities said. It happened while Ashton was busy working on the Orange County murder case against Casey Anthony.

Circuit Judge Rene Roche's signature was then forged on the bogus order to release Jenkins from state prison.

When Jenkins wasn't released, the records show he sent a letter from the Franklin Correctional Institution, in Carrabelle, Fla., to the Orange County Clerk of Courts with copies of the bogus motion and order on State Attorney's Office letterhead.

That attempt, too, failed.

Then, earlier this year, someone tried another forgery attempt, again on Jenkins' behalf, this time using Chief Judge Belvin Perry's signature.

The final attempt was successful, and Jenkins was released from prison on Sept. 27.

"I received a call Tuesday afternoon, as I was leaving work, from State Attorney Jeff Ashton saying there was a problem," said Perry.

The clerk's records show Walker's bogus paperwork, using Perry's and prosecutor Jim Altman's signatures, was filed on Oct. 7, and the next day, Walker was released from the same state prison that released Jenkins.

The bogus motions for Jenkins and Walker were titled "Motion to Correct Illegal Sentence." They were made to appear as if the state was filing the motion to reduce their sentences.

Jenkins was serving life for the 1998 killing of Roscoe Pugh in a botched drug deal.

Jenkins has a lengthy rap sheet for theft and drug-related crimes. He also has several arrests for violent crimes, like shooting into an occupied vehicle and armed robbery

Charles Walker shot and killed Cedric Slater in 1999. At the time, Walker told investigators Slater had bullied him, and the shooting was meant to scare him off.

Walker's previous arrests included cocaine possession, aggravated assault and burglary charges.

"In my 35 years in the judicial system, I have never seen the state of Florida file a motion to correct an illegal sentence," said Perry.

Perry told Channel 9 that the false documents had problems. However, the one thing that was correct was Perry's signature. He said he believes whoever forged it cut and pasted his signature from other public documents

"It is quite evident that someone forged a court document, filed a motion, and that someone, with the aid of a computer, lifted my signature off previous signed documents -- which are public reports -- affixed that to the document, sent it to the Clerk's Office. It was processed and forwarded to DOC, and the defendant ended up being released," said Perry.

Perry said changes have already been made to prevent someone from getting away with this in the same way again. He said he wouldn't elaborate on the changes because he didn't want to give anyone an opportunity to find a way around the new system.

Eyewitness News has confirmed federal authorities have joined the massive manhunt for Jenkins and Walker.

On Thursday, the U.S. Marshals Service activated its Florida Regional Fugitive Task Force to help track down Jenkins and Walker.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office issued a warning to the public.

"(The public) should be concerned and (Jenkins and Walker) are dangerous. That's already been proven," said Capt. Angelo Nieves, of the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Channel 9's Marion Boone went to several homes looking for Pugh's relatives. He found a family living at one of Pugh's former addresses in Orlando's Parramore neighborhood.

"They shouldn't have let them out. They should've looked at that more," said a resident of the house.

The resident said the family is worried that one of the men might come back.

"I hope they don't come back here, because they don't live here no more. They (law enforcement officials) say they're in area. They feel like they're in the area. I hope they're not, and I hope they catch them and they don't come back here," the resident said.

Sources told Boone that investigators believe Walker is back in the Orlando area.


Gov. Scott Response

Joseph Jenkins
Joseph Jenkins
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Gov. Rick Scott says law enforcement needs to first capture two murderers who escaped from a Franklin County prison and then find out what went wrong.

Authorities say Joseph Jenkins and Charles Walker were let out of the prison where they were serving life sentences after prison officials were fooled by forged court documents.

Scott told reporters the first priority is capturing the men, both of whom are 34 years old and were convicted of separate Orlando-area murders more than a decade ago.

Scott said, "Once we resolve this and apprehend these individuals, then we'll find out what we need to do to make sure it doesn't happen again."

The Department of Corrections, Florida Department of Law Enforcement and Orange County Sheriff's Office are investigating the escape.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Share
3 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of Action News Jacksonville

Old Dog - 10/18/2013 8:11 AM
3 Votes
Just another reason for people to own firearms, because the police, the courts and the justice system can't and won't fully protect the public from animals like these. Then for these two animals they obviously had outside help and when that person is caught they should be serving life right beside these two. Better yet, hopefully the police with get the chance to kill them vs. putting them back in prison for tax payers like me to support.

Marine Grunt - 10/17/2013 8:06 PM
1 Vote
Is people in the Department of Corrections that Stupid, that when you have two convicted murders that you don't double check why they are being released before you release them....you got to me %$#%$*& me.

Marine Grunt - 10/17/2013 8:05 PM
0 Votes
Is people in the Department of Corrections that Stupid, that when you have two convicted murders that you don't double check why they are being released before you release them....you got to me %$#%$*& me.
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.