First Alert Weather Alert: Flood Warning expires at 8:00 PM on 4/28, issued at 10:03 AM Bryceville, FL | Callahan, FL | Fernandina Beach, FL | Glen Saint Mary, FL

Investigators return to scene of shooting in Orange Park

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 6/10/2013 8:12 pm
ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- Investigators returned to the scene of a shooting over the weekend that left a teenager on life support.

The Clay County Sheriff's Office says Hadrian Migel Rabadan, 15, fired at an officer in a wooded area near his home on Saturday night.

Deputy Jason Graff returned fire.

According to Nathaniel Dove, the incident happened right behind his home on Neptune Road.

"We were out here grilling and all we heard was two gun shots and we heard the officer say 'get down'," said Dove.

Rabadan was taken to UF Health in Jacksonville in critical condition, according to the sheriff's office.

Authorities have not yet determined whether Rabadan shot himself or if the deputy shot him. Graff is on paid administrative leave which is standard procedure in police shootings.

Deputies recovered a small-caliber handgun at the scene.

The incident began when Rabadan's grandmother called 911 to say he had a gun and wanted to kill himself. Deputies responded to Rabadan's home on Hercules Drive where they believed he was barricaded inside.

A short time later, investigators received a call about a young male jumping a fence about three blocks away. Deputies and a K-9 unit responded to that area where the confrontation took place.

Rabadan has two felony arrests from 2011. He was arrested for felony grand theft of a firearm, and possession of a firearm on school property in January 2011. Deputies say he admitted to stealing his mother's gun and took it to Orange Park Junior High School.

Six months later, deputies arrested Rabadan on a felony aggravated assault charge. According to his grandmother, Patricia Laughter, he was upset because his mother took off the door to his room, so he took her's down with a bat.

"I tried to get him to put the ball bat down, he did put it down and he went to jail peacefully. He's not a danger," said Laughter.

Laughter said the incident on Saturday night has left her wondering if she could have prevented it.

"I sit and wonder what I could have done anything I could have done. I still wonder and think I could have done something," said Laughter.

Rabadan's family told Action News he is on a ventilator so his organs can be harvested.
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of Action News Jacksonville

No comments yet!
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.