PALATKA, Fla. - An 8-year-old girl died Saturday at UF Health Shands Hospital in Gainesville after she was left unattended while a house fire broke out in her home.
The child was initially taken to Putnam Community Medical Center and then transported to Shands.
Action News Jax obtained exclusive video of the fire from a witness that was then given to law enforcement to be added into the Palatka Police Department criminal investigation.
Neighbors told us the little girl hurt in the fire is Deviet McGee.
Neighbors tell @VarisaANJax this is the 8-year-old girl who was hospitalized after a fire in Palatka. The child was home alone at the time. She's in critical condition https://t.co/jF4qRNqCit @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/MxQW4w18lI— Ashley Hollander (@AshleyANjax) December 15, 2017
We gave this video to law enforcement after a neighbor told us it shows Deviet’s mom is seen watching her house burn as her daughter is still inside. Neighbors told us she didn’t show much emotion during the incident.
Police confirmed to us that the video does show the girl’s mother, but they did not indicate whether she was at fault.
The Palatka Police Department said the fire erupted at midnight Friday. They say due to suspicious evidence at the scene, they are actively investigating the fire.
They could not confirm if any accelerants were found in the house that make them suspect arson, only saying they have not made any arrests so far.
The State Fire Marshal is offering a reward for anyone with information leading to an arrest in the case.
The Palatka Police Department reports that the child’s mother, Yvette McGee, was absent from the home before the fire for an unspecified amount of time.
The Florida Department of Children and Families told us they’re investigating this case to learn who was supposed to be supervising the child.
Download the Action News Jax app to get updates on this story.
We are at the Palatka Police Department. We're about to find out more information about a child that was airlifted to Shands following a fire. We'll let you know what we find out. @ActionNewsJax @WOKVNews pic.twitter.com/5YqWJLOoT2— Varisa Lall Dass (@VarisaANJax) December 15, 2017
A neighbor also gave me this picture of the child's mother Yvette McGee. The PPD tells me the child was unattended during the fire. They are actively investigating the case. @ActionNewsJax @WOKVNews pic.twitter.com/uBgANXJ7MT— Varisa Lall Dass (@VarisaANJax) December 15, 2017
This is a press release we got from PPD. The State Fire Marshall is offering a reward for anyone with information that leads to an arrest. They want answers about this fire and possible arson. @ActionNewsJax @WOKVNews pic.twitter.com/gloeavHUxQ— Varisa Lall Dass (@VarisaANJax) December 15, 2017
We are driving to meet @KaitlynANjax and photographer Nick Longo. They're picking up this story right where we left off. Make sure you're following her on Twitter for all the new updates. @ActionNewsJax @WOKVNews pic.twitter.com/hphojyHjPh— Varisa Lall Dass (@VarisaANJax) December 15, 2017
These are teddy bears outside of the little girl's home. They were joined by balloons by the time we left. Friends describe her as a "warm child, who loved to give hugs and ride her bike." @ActionNewsJax @wokv pic.twitter.com/UTL9rGQ4RW— Varisa Lall Dass (@VarisaANJax) December 15, 2017
© 2018 Cox Media Group.