JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Your health and safety are why state health inspectors make surprise visits at our local restaurants.
They're also why Action News does the Restaurant Report every week. Romney Smith checked the state inspection reports to give you the facts.Page by page, Smith went through all the reports from this past week to make sure the places you're taking your family to eat are safe and clean.
China Buffet, located on Atlantic Boulevard in Jacksonville, tops the list this week with 13 high-priority violations, meaning they could make you sick.
Here’s what we found in the report: Live, small flying insects in the food-prep area, an employee who touched their face/hands then returned to preparing food, and an inspection found a construction-grade power drill being used to stir sauces and mix chicken. A warning was given. We reached out to China Buffet for comment, but neither the manager nor owner were available.
There are two other restaurants near the top of the list with high-priority violations.
Inspectors found nine high-priority violations at Shrimp R Us in Putnam County. One violation includes live flies in the kitchen. A warning was issued.
Inspectors detailed seven high-priority violations at Rewis Restaurant and Catering on North Main Street in Jacksonville, including produce with a mold-like growth.
Clean plate awards of the week:
• Q Ball Billiards on Beach Boulevard
• Wyndham Jacksonville Riverwalk
• McDonalds #34864 on SE Maricamp Rd
• Wok N Roll on Palm Valley Road in Ponte Vedra
• Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits #151 on Dunn Avenue in Jacksonville
• Best Western Baldwin Inn on 1088 US Highway 301 South in Baldwin
• India House on Baymeadows Road in Jacksonville
• Willard’s BBQ Junction on San Juan Avenue in Jacksonville
• Pearl of the Sea Bed and Breakfast on A1A South in Saint Augustine
To find more information on restaurant inspections, you can search by name here: https://www.myfloridalicense.com/wl11.asp?mode=0&SID=&brd=H
To file a complaint: https://www.myfloridalicense.com/complaintwizard_cont.asp?SID=