Nassau County Family Loses Home to Fire
NASSAU COUNTY, Fla. -- Police now know the cause of a fire that destroyed a Nassau County family's home just a day before Thanksgiving.
Firefighters believe a faulty flue in the fireplace is to blame. The family had a fire burning earlier that day.
Their home burned down around 11 a.m. Wednesday, but the grandfather and grandson were able to make it out safely. Their cat did not survive the fire.
By the time the firefighters got inside, the flames were so intense that the garage collapsed on top of some of the rescue workers.
One worker was pinned down and had to be cut out and was airlifted to the hospital. That firefighter has since been released from the hospital.
Investigators say the fire does not appear suspicious in nature.
Copyright 2007 Clear Channel Broadcasting. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.