Sign up for Action News Jax Newsletters

Delivered To Your Inbox

Teen burned in Tater Tots cooking accident in Jacksonville

by: Amber Krycka, Action News Jax Updated:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A teen burned in a house fire Friday night is recovering.

Firefighters say a 14-year-old boy and his two brothers were trying to cook Tater Tots when things got out of control and the home on 103rd Street caught fire.

“You could see the smoke, once they opened the door, you could see the black smoke coming out of the house,” said Alexander Sanchez, a friend who says he heard his friend yelling for help.


TRENDING: Florida woman dies while loading groceries in Publix parking lot


“He was screaming, he was screaming, trying to get some help,” says Sanchez.

Sanchez said the boy’s oldest brother, a 17-year-old, was yelling at his brothers to get out. When firefighters arrived, there was heavy smoke, and they quickly put it out. But the home is a total loss.

Investigators say the three teens were cooking Tater Tots when the oil spilled and caught fire. As they were trying to get the pot out, they tripped.

“His body was burned like around here, back of his arm,” Sanchez said, pointing to his side and back.


FLORIDA NEWS: Baby dies after mother struck by lightning while 9 months pregnant


Investigators say the boy was taken to a local hospital, but will most likely be transported to Gainesville because of how bad the burns are.

“I hope he gets better soon,” Sanchez said.

The Red Cross is helping the family.