ATLANTA -- Firefighters are investigating what started a fire in a small strip mall along Peachtree Road in Buckhead.
The fire broke out just after 8 p.m. in a bike shop called Peachtree Bikes at the plaza near the corner of Peachtree Road and Delmont Drive.
Firefighters were able to quickly put out the flames, but very little was left of the store.
“Upon arrival, we encountered heavy flames, and it was definitely a fire that we had to make a rapid attack on,” said Battalion Chief Richard Heard with the Atlanta Fire Department.
Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the bike shop, but other businesses in the small strip mall were damaged by smoke, Heard said. No injuries were reported.
As firefighters poured water on the flames, several small explosions were heard, likely due to the bicycle tires in the shop, Heard said. Power lines in the area were also burned, causing a temporary outage in the area.
“It’s smoke damage, so I don’t know how much can be recovered,” said Sallie Patterson, who owns nearby Woof Gang Bakery and Grooming,
Peachtree Road was temporarily blocked in both directions near the 2800 block. It is not known what sparked the fire, which remains under investigation.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution contributed to this article
Video: WSB-TV Atlanta