Carbon monoxide detected at NY mall, 1 dead

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 2/23 12:14 am
HUNTINGTON STATION, N.Y. -- Police say a 55-year-old restaurant manager has died and more than two dozen others were taken to hospitals after being overcome by carbon monoxide at a New York mall.

A Suffolk County police spokesman identified the man who died Saturday as Steven Nelson, a restaurant manager at the Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station on Long Island.

Police said 28 others affected by carbon monoxide were taken to area hospitals.

Police earlier said three officers were among those overcome by carbon monoxide at the mall, which is about 35 miles east of New York City. They responded to a call shortly after 6 p.m.

Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless and can lead to death by suffocation.

Several restaurants at the mall were evacuated as a precaution.

The Walt Whitman Shops consists of more than 80 stores, including anchors Bloomingdale's, Lord & Taylor, Macy's and Saks Fifth Avenue.
Share
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of Action News Jacksonville

No comments yet!
Jacksonville Current Conditions
85°
High 85° - Low 63°
Partly Cloudy
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.