UF Health Shands Hospital closes burn unit in Gainesville after bacterial infection
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Officials at Shands Hospital in Gainesville are disinfecting the burn unit after they say a bacterial outbreak infected seven patients.
Action News has learned current burn unit patients have been relocated to another part of the hospital.
The rest of the hospital is open and taking patients.
A public information officer at the hospital told Action News the hospital has been aware of the bacteria and it's something many hospitals deal with.
Dr. Timothy Flynn told WFTV one patient has been placed in an isolation unit. Hospital officials would not say whether any patients have died as a result of the outbreak.
The acinetobacter baumannii bacteria can cause fatal infections for vulnerable patients including burn victim because their immune systems are compromised.
Hospital officials told WFTV they had already planned to close the burn unit for renovations prior to the outbreak.
The hospital is still taking burn patients. One of the victims injured in a massive explosion at a gas plant in Tavarres on Monday was taken to Shands, according to WFTV.
The Ocala Star-Banner reports the hospital's infection control department is checking for contamination in other areas of the hospital.
Copyright 2013 Cox Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.