Suspect in Benghazi attack found dead

by: By Jomana Karadsheh, CNN Updated:

Breaking News
Tripoli, Libya —

Faraj al-Shibli, who was suspected of involvement in the 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, has been found dead, a Libyan source and locals in the town of Marj said.

Al-Shibli, whose name is also spelled Chalabi, was last seen being detained by local militia in Marj two days ago, a Libyan source said.

It is unclear what happened to al-Shibli since then, but his body was found on Monday in Marj, which is in eastern Libya.

Locals in Marj also confirmed that al-Shibli's body was found Monday.