First Alert Weather Alert: Flood Warning expires at 8:00 PM on 4/28, issued at 10:03 AM Bryceville, FL | Callahan, FL | Fernandina Beach, FL | Glen Saint Mary, FL

Reports: Incognito used slur, threatened violence towards Martin

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 11/05/2013 2:24 am

(SportsNetwork.com) - Suspended Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito reportedly used a racial slur and verbally threatened to harm teammate Jonathan Martin in a voice mail obtained by the NFL over the weekend.

Martin turned over several texts and voice messages sent by Incognito to the league office on Sunday, according to NFL.com. In one of the voice mails, Incognito allegedly told the offensive tackle he would defecate in his mouth and threatened to harm Martin's family members in addition to using racial epithets.

"Hey, wassup, you half (expletive) piece of (expletive)," said Incognito in a transcript released by several media outlets. "I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. I'll (expletive) in your (expletive) mouth. I'm gonna slap your (expletive) mouth, I'm gonna slap your real mother across the face (laughter). (Expletive) you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."

The Dolphins indefinitely suspended Incognito, who has a history of violent and erratic behavior dating back to his collegiate days at Nebraska, on Sunday for conduct detrimental to the team.

Martin, who is biracial, is currently away from the Dolphins after abruptly leaving the club last week following an incident in the team cafeteria in which several teammates left a table as he was about to sit down in an apparent prank. The second-year lineman is seeking treatment for emotional distress and is expected to be placed on the non-football injury list.

Both the NFL, which is presently conducting an investigation into the matter, and Martin notified the Dolphins of the messages on Sunday, which prompted the team to take action against Incognito.

"We believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another and as a result we believe this [suspension] is in the best interest of the organization at this time," said the Dolphins in a statement. As we noted earlier, we reached out to the NFL to conduct an objective and thorough review. We will continue to work with the league on this matter."

Incognito began his career with the St. Louis Rams in 2005 but was released by that team midway through the 2009 season after drawing two personal fouls and clashing with then-head coach Steve Spagnuolo during a game against Tennessee. The 30-year-old signed with Miami the following season and has started 55 games during his tenure with the Dolphins.

Share
Action Sports 360 ยป
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.