86 people confirmed dead in Surfside condo collapse

SURFSIDE, Fla. — Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said 86 people are now confirmed dead in the Surfside condo collapse and 43 remain unaccounted for.

As of Saturday officials say 62 of the 82 victims have been identified.

“Please pray for all of those who have lost loved ones and whose hearts are broken from this unspeakable tragedy, and for those who are still waiting,” she said.

Earlier this week, search and rescue efforts at the collapse site transitioned to recovery.

Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett said given the current pace, the site will likely be cleared much sooner than expected.


Samantha Mathers

Samantha Mathers, Action News Jax

Samantha Mathers is a digital reporter and content creator for Action News Jax.