JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — ATTENTION DISH CUSTOMERS: We continue to try to negotiate with DISH, but DISH refuses to negotiate in good faith for the value of our signal, which includes some of the most popular programming on television, including NFL Playoffs, The Masked Singer and Action News Jax.
- Viewers should call DISH and tell them that if they drop WFOX-FOX30, their viewers will switch to another cable or satellite company. Call DISH at 800-333-3474 and tell them you will drop DISH if they drop WFOX.
- If we cannot reach an agreement, DISH by law must drop FOX30. That means viewers will not be able to see the playoffs, Masked Singer, Judge Judy and Action News Jax.
- This dispute only affects DISH subscribers. If you subscribe to DirecTV, Comcast, etc., you will continue to receive FOX30.
- FOX30 provides some of the most popular and most watched programs on DISH. Yet, DISH pays many of our competitors far more than it pays for our higher rated programming.
- We are asking for lower fees than what DISH pays for ESPN, yet our ratings trounce ESPN. Moreover, unlike ESPN, we are the trusted source that local viewers turn to when they need information about local school closings, weather, local emergencies, and other local news.
- Viewers pay DISH a lot of money to receive their favorite programs. If DISH drops FOX30, tell DISH you will drop them.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What is happening?
By law, WFOX-FOX30 must negotiate carriage agreements with satellite companies like DISH. Usually, these deals are reached without any disruption to your service. In fact, our company has negotiated dozens of agreements with only the rarest of disruptions. Unfortunately, so far, DISH has refused to negotiate a fair deal that recognizes the value customers place on WFOX’s programming and services.
2. As a DISH customer, what can I do to continue to watch my favorite shows on FOX30?
The best thing viewers can do is Call DISH at 1-800-333-3474. Tell DISH that you pay them a lot of money to watch your favorite shows on FOX30, including The Masked Singer, NFL Playoffs and Judge Judy. Tell DISH that if it drops FOX30, then you will drop DISH.
3. Why does FOX30 charge cable and satellite operators a fee to carry their programming?
Despite what you may have heard, this dispute is not about FOX30 seeking large fees. FOX30 is among the highest rated channels on DISH. Producing and broadcasting high rated, top-quality programming is very expensive. We invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in our local news, weather, and emergency programming. To keep doing that, we need a fair deal from DISH and all our distributors.
4. What is a “fair” deal for FOX30 programming and why is DISH refusing to pay it?
We have carriage agreements with every other major cable and satellite company that is carrying FOX30 and are seeking to be treated fairly by DISH. Based on publicly available information, DISH pays over $6 per subscriber per month for ESPN. In other words, $6 from your monthly bill goes straight to ESPN. Our ratings are much higher than ESPN’s! Yet, we would agree to far less than what DISH pays to ESPN. More importantly, ESPN has NO local programming, NO local employees, NO local investments, and a very small local audience – unlike FOX30.
5. Won’t rates to subscribers go up if DISH has to pay FOX30?
Whether rates go up depends on decisions made by DISH. Like all cable and satellite companies, DISH is already charging you to receive FOX30 as part of your monthly bill. We do not control how much DISH pays to other channels or how it manages its business. DISH should stop over-paying for channels its customers watch less and prioritize channels like FOX30, that its subscribers turn to every day. We have and will continue to negotiate with DISH in good faith in an effort to successfully complete a deal with them.
6. If DISH stops carrying FOX30, will I get a refund on my bill?
It is up to DISH to resolve such questions with its customers. But, you could call DISH at 1-800-333-3474 about a refund and let them know you are no longer getting what you pay for -- your favorite programming from FOX30.
7. Is there anything the public can do to help make sure that FOX30 remains on DISH?
The best way for you to encourage a resolution is to register your support of how important it is for them to continue to carry FOX30 by calling DISH at 800-333-3474. You pay DISH a lot of money. It will listen to your voices.
You can also view FOX30 over the air with an over the air antenna available at retail. Or you can contact any number of other providers that are committed to providing you with all the programming you watch every day:
o DIRECTV: 1-888-777-2454 or www.directv.com
o Comcast: 1-800-934-6489 or www.comcast.com
o AT&T U-Verse: 1-877-821-6209 or http://www.attsavings.com/
Regardless, we will continue to work hard to try and get a successful outcome to this negotiation so that you do not lose live access to any of your favorite programming, but the ball remains in DISH’s court to step up like all of their competitors and peers have done.
9. Why is this happening again – Didn’t the station just make a deal with DISH last year?
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group