ALACHUA COUNTY, Fla — A 42-year-old Hawthorne man died from a fireworks accident in Campville, deputies said.
The Alachua County Sheriff's Office said the victim's wife called just before 9:30 a.m. saying her husband was setting off large fireworks in a nearby pasture, but she was unable to contact him. A short time later, he was found injured by family members and and CPR was started, deputies said.
Darren Lotow was airlifted to UF Health, where he later died.
Deputies said Lotow was injured when attempting to set off large mortar-type fireworks through a PVC pipe, the fireworks malfunctioned and exploding out the side of the pipe.
Trending on ActionNewsJax.com:
- Woman, 18, used infant to batter boyfriend on Daytona Beach, authorities say
- Hundreds of bed bugs infest local apartment
- Man injured after falling from balcony in Jacksonville Beach
- Jacksonville woman murdered in Atlanta
- Man stabbed to death at Jacksonville Food Mart
Cox Media Group