JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — A local day care was tagged with two serious violations after a routine visit from the Department of Children and Families. In this week’s Kid Care Report, Action News Jax anchor Letisha Bereola went to the center and asked for a response from the director.
New Beginning Day Care near Magnolia Gardens had 24 kids present and four staff members working when DCF dropped in for an inspection. The center racked up five violations, two of which are Class 2 violations.
According to the state, a Class 2 violation could pose a threat to the health and safety of a child.
The first was for too many children and not enough teachers in a classroom. That was fixed on the spot when two children were moved to another room. The other was for a missing background check for an employee. DCF said there was a gap in employment and another screening should have been done.
When Bereola went to the center to talk to the director she was told the director would follow up with a written statement. That statement came back within minutes and gave an update on both the Class 2’s and 3’s it received from the state.
“1. Ratio - Completed at the time of inspection.
2. Immunization records - A follow-up letter was sent to the parent, and child could not return until records were updated.
3. Personnel records - The personnel/volunteer signed an updated Child Abuse and Neglect form.
4. Background screening - The employee has current background screening.”
The center didn’t include a response for a child not having a physical form on file. They were given a deadline to get that paperwork back from parents.
The next day care in this week’s Kid Care Report is Praise is What We Do Early Learning Christian Academy II. It was 100% compliant during its most recent inspection. Bereola checked its online records and its never had a violation since DCF started putting records online.
Two day cares in this week’s kid care report -- one missed the mark the other made the grade.
- Future Duck Early Learning Inc., 504 Golfair Blvd.
- Two Angels Academy LLC, 8927 Lem Turner Rd.
- A Bright Beginning Child Care, 9762 Deer Lake Ct.
- Pough’s Christian Cuddle Care, 721 Edgewood Ave. N
- Northside Community Involvement Inc., 4736 Avenue B.
- The Learning Experience Rivercity, 13144 Wolf Bay.
- Bethlehem Lutheran Preschool, 1359 Palm Cir.
- Episcopal Children’s Services Rhoda Martin Early Head Start, 337 4th St. S
- T’s Learning Center, 11526 Lake Mead Avenue Suite 105
© 2020 Cox Media Group