JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Jacksonville has been under a cloud of violence this October, with 17 shootings in the past 11 days (since Oct. 7) claiming 5 lives and injuring at least 17 others.
Though the city has invested in programs to curb the shootings like ShotSpotter and Cure Violence, the conflict continues.
Here's a breakdown of this month's wave of violence:
- A man was shot in the leg and had non-life threatening injuries on the 5400 block of Gable lane.
- A pregnant 19-year-old woman was shot and killed on the 3200 block of Justina Road.
- A man was reportedly shot at 400 Lorenzo Court.
- A man was reportedly shot and killed near the 1400 block of W. 5th Street, where a drive-by shooting happened 14 hours earlier.
- Two people were shot and sustained non-life threatening injuries on Sappho Avenue
- A woman was shot multiple times in the leg on Phyllis Street. Her injuries were not life-threatening.
- A man was shot and killed and a woman was injured at the Thomas Chase Apartments on Sunbeam Road.
- One man was shot and killed at a Sunoco gas station on Kings Road.
- A star high school basketball player was shot at 2900 W. 9th Street and sustained non-life-threatening injuries.
- Two men were shot on the 1300 block of Orton Street, both with non-life-threatening injuries.
- Two men were shot on Timmerman Lane while in a car. Both men had non-life-threatening injuries.
- An 18-year-old was shot near the head at 6800 Miss Muffet Ln. and is in critical condition.
- A man was shot in the leg on the 2000 block of W. 17th Street and sustained non-life-threatening injuries.
- A man was reportedly shot and killed and several others were stabbed after a fight on the 3300 block of Pearl Street in Brentwood.
- A person was shot on the 8600 block of Edenfield Road.
- At least one person was shot on the 5200 block of Seaboard Avenue. We're working to confirm the details of the incident.