Woman dies after leaving her car running at Mandarin condo, police say

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — A woman has died after she left her car running in a garage at a Mandarin condo on Friday.

Police said two people who reported feeling ill due to the exhaust fumes have been taken to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries.

Police were responding to a welfare check at approximately 3:30 p.m. in the 5600 block of Greenland Road.

Neighbors at The Cottages at Greenland told the responding officers they smelled fumes coming from a residence, police said.

Police entered the residence and found an 88-year-old woman dead in the home.

“It’s just sad,” said Kathy Granger, a neighbor who is heartbroken. “Unfortunately old age she probably didn’t understand how these new cars work."

JFRD detected extreme levels of carbon monoxide in the home. Residents in the surrounding area were evacuated and two people were taken to the hospital as a precaution.

Police said the woman left her car running and closed the garage door.

Police are not suspecting foul play.

Granger said she hopes neighbors will start looking out for the elderly.

“Check on each other, check on each other, that’s what neighbors do. And this may be a wakeup call, we need to be a little more diligent I think and check on the elderly,” she said.

LIVE: JSO to provide update on person found dead at Jacksonville condo

LIVE: JSO to provide update on person found dead at Jacksonville condo. WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR: http://bit.ly/2HIagHB

Posted by Action News Jax on Friday, March 16, 2018

Original story

Fire rescue crews are investigating an apartment complex in Mandarin after reports of at least one person dead on Friday. This comes after reports of an odor making people feel ill on Friday.

Jacksonville Fire And Rescue crews are investigating the odor at The Cottages at Greenland on Greenland Road. JFRD said in a tweet people are reporting feeling ill.

This is a developing story. We have a crew heading out to the scene. Refresh this page, follow @ActionNewsJax on Twitter and watch Action News Jax for the latest updates. 

WATCH: Sky Action News Jax is in the area where fire rescue officials received reports of people feeling ill. 

LIVE: One person is dead on Greenland Road after a report of a "foul odor."

LIVE: One person is dead at the Cottages at Greenland after a report of a "foul odor." WHAT WE KNOW: http://bit.ly/2HIagHB

Posted by Action News Jax on Friday, March 16, 2018