A new business is scheduled to open in downtown Jacksonville this June.
A hair salon is underway on Monroe Street near the downtown library.
Corey Duval, who owns Hollywood Cuts Barbershop purchased the empty storefront next to his current shop.
- Sri Lanka explosions: Easter Sunday blasts at churches, hotels kill more than 200
- Church's parking lot vandalized after someone did doughnuts in it
- JSO: 2-year-old girl shot in the foot off East 44th Street
- FHP: Head-on crash leaves 2 dead
- Easter bunny hops in, throws punches during fight in Florida
Renovations began Monday. The space was formerly a coffee shop. Duval's new businesses contribute to the downtown revitalization.
According to a 2017 study by the Jessie Ball duPont Fund , 25% of property in downtown is vacant, and 73 buildings are empty.
Duval is a two-time convicted felon. He spent time in the Duval County jail downtown, less than a mile from his business. Duval says he’s used his past to build a better future.
“I was in jail, but because I’m so focused on moving forward, it’s kind of hard for me to look back and put myself in that situation again,” Duval said.
He also plans to open a beauty supply store in the same building in the coming years.
Cox Media Group