JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A Jacksonville police report says children were found living with roaches, feces and total filth -- and now a local woman is facing charges.
A new report says the Florida Department of Children and Families has been tracking the family on a weekly basis.
Shona Baker, 35, was arrested Thursday on a charge of child neglect.
- Joleen Cummings case: Murder suspect Kimberly Kessler is competent, treatment staff says
- Jacksonville star high school basketball player shot on walk home, source says
- Submit your photos: Action Sports Jax Gardner Minshew Lookalike Contest
- Changes are coming to this year's Sea and Sky Air Show at Jax Beach
- Florida Department of Health confirms measles case in Duval County
- Florida toddler dies after being left in hot Jeep outside Tampa home, police say
- LIST: Halloween events in the Jacksonville area
According to the arrest report, a DCF investigator called police to the Westside apartment on Thursday around 9:45 a.m. It states the department has tracked this family on a weekly basis.
Action News Jax has reached out to DCF to learn if the children have been removed from the home.
The report continues to state the officer did not find Baker at the apartment. It said two other adults were home, watching the three youngest children.
The officer examined the living conditions in each room. He reported "dirty and sticky" floors, piles of trash, "the children's bedroom had human excrement and urine on the floor," multiple bedrooms having dirty mattresses with no linens, multiple alive and dead roaches in the kitchen and old food sitting on the stove.
The officer also reported safety hazards in the apartment. The report states, "multiple walls had exposed beams where the sheetrock was missing," and one of the adults had medication in her room unsecured.
The officer stated, "The general condition of the apartment is unfit for children to grow and thrive."
Several hours later, the officer made contact with Baker, who said she was at her mother's house. She told the officer she cleans her house but she was sick that day.
Baker was arrested and charged by the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office with child neglect. Jail records show she was released the next day on bail.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.