COLUMBIA COUNTY, Fla. — The Columbia County Sheriff's Office responded to a burglary at a home on Carpenter Road on Wednesday, Aug. 7. Upon arrival, the homeowner told police he had held the suspect at gunpoint before the suspect fled into the woods.
Police later found the suspect, Elbert Clinton Gillard, exiting the woods and walking into a field. According to the police report, deputies immediately identified Gillard due to having dealt with him before and his unique face tattoos.
- Store owner: Video shows two women, 1 carrying a child, stealing from children's store
- State calls for the death penalty for man accused of killing pregnant niece
- Photos: UNF students' pictures with Jacksonville Uber driver go viral
- Jacksonville baby died from head abuse, according to new report; no one charged in murder
- Jacksonville grocery store Native Sun closing its doors, cites 'dramatic increase of grocery stores'
Gillard told deputies that he had been in the woods for four days. Police later searched the residence Gillard allegedly tried to burglarize and found clothes, firearms and a knife out of place. Police also found a cigarette in the toilet, identical to the cigarettes found in Gillard's pockets, the report said.
Gillard was arrested and transported to the Columbia County Jail on alleged theft charges.
© 2020 Cox Media Group