NORTHEAST FLORIDA, SOUTHEAST GEORGIA — More than 42,000 people in Florida and 35,000 people in Georgia have been infected with the new coronavirus, and the number of deaths from the outbreak continues to rise. Officials are attempting to contain the COVID-19 outbreak in Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia as schools, businesses and public events are closed or canceled.
Action News Jax has the very latest information on Florida and Georgia cases of the coronavirus LIVE on FOX30 and CBS47. Click here to watch.
NOTE: As new information related to the coronavirus comes in regarding Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia, we will update this story. Please read the entire article for the latest information from May 15.
May 15, 2:45 p.m.: Nocatee announced that its waterpark and pools will tentatively begin reopening on Wednesday, May 20, with restrictions.
The community’s pools and waterparks will open at 25% of park capacity beginning Wednesday, May 20.
Crosswater Pool is not expected to be permitted for opening at that time due to a delay in utility connections from JEA. The Crosswater pool will be open as soon as state permits are obtained. The current expected open date is approximately May 29. Other details about the Nocatee amenities include:
- CDD playgrounds will open on May 20. Staff is scheduled to inspect all playgrounds to ensure safety of the equipment after the lengthy period of non-use.
- The fitness center will be open Monday, May 18 at 6 a.m. at limited capacity. Due to restrictions, residents will reserve a specific piece of cardio equipment or sign up for the weight circuit for a 45 minute session. The resumption of fitness classes will be announced shortly.
- The pickleball, volleyball and basketball courts are currently closed for upgrades as part of the Enhance the Lifestyle project. The sand for the volleyball court has been moved and resurfacing of the courts will begin shortly.
- The status of Summer Camp is unknown due to restrictions and limited amenities.
- Resident Services remains open all week and is continuing to serve residents by reservation only. Call 924-6850 to schedule an appointment.
For the waterparks and pools, the following policies will temporarily be in place:
- No guests will be allowed. This includes the use of the grandparent card. The policy will be strictly enforced as the purpose is to help to ensure that guests from outside of Nocatee, where the spread may not be controlled, are not entering the amenities.
- Each waterpark and outlying CDD pool will have three sessions per day. The current plans are as follows: Session 1, 9 a.m.-Noon; Break for cleaning, Noon-1 p.m.; Session 2, 1 p.m.-4 p.m.; Break for cleaning, 4 p.m.-5 p.m.; Session 3, 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Residents will be able to make reservations for these sessions beginning Monday.
Residents must review temporary policies specific to each amenity prior to making any reservations. You can find these policies here.
May 15, 1:00 p.m.: Friday, Governor Ron DeSantis made announcements regarding restaurants and gyms that will take effect Monday.
Monday, Florida restaurants can expand their indoor seating to a 50% capacity, with restrictions.
Gyms and fitness centers can operate with 50% capacity, with restrictions.
Retail, museums and libraries will go up to 50% capacity as well Monday.
May 15, 8:57 a.m.: Today, the Florida governor and Jacksonville’s mayor are expected to announce the next steps in reopening the economy locally. Some of those steps could potentially be opening up more seating in restaurants and reopening gyms next week.
The announcements will take place at Ascension St. Vincent’s Riverside in Jacksonville at noon. Action News Jax will carry the briefing LIVE on CBS47 and FOX30. You can also watch the briefing online by clicking here or here. The briefing can also be watched on the Action News Jax NOW app for Amazon Fire, Apple TV or Roku.
Action News Jax spoke with local gym owners who have been patiently waiting to reopen. Many have even started deep cleaning their gyms as they wait to see what DeSantis announces today.
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group