JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office responded to reports Sunday of a person lying on the roadway who appeared unresponsive at 3215 Phillips Highway.
When police arrived, they found one man attempting to wake up another man later identified to be Randall Scott Thomas, 56, who was lying half on the sidewalk and half in the shoulder of the roadway.
When police approached Thomas, he started running. Police gave him verbal commands to stop and get on the ground, which he refused.
JSO officers caught up with Thomas and took him to the ground and detained him. Thomas attempted to speak but his words were slurred and not understandable, police said. He had a strong smell of alcohol on his breath and bloodshot eyes, according to police.
- Tumblr reports man with HIV uploading photo of himself having sexual relations with child
- Family: 19-year-old found shot to death in Arlington apartments was nine months pregnant
- Local mom hit by debris from nearby crash; driver takes off and smashes pumpkins
- Jacksonville armed robbery suspects sought, police say
- LIST: Halloween events in the Jacksonville area
Police then observed cuts and scrapes on the other man's right arm from allegedly being pushed to the ground by Thomas, the police report said. JSO added that the victim was over the age of 65.
Thomas has been arrested on alleged charges of battery on a person 65 years of age or older, disorderly intoxication and resisting arrest, JSO says. Thomas is a resident of Jacksonville Beach, the report said.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.