JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Three local kids and their mom are still in a hospital recovering from serve burns. They were inside the Calloway Cove Apartments when it caught fire. Now they’re getting help from someone who’s been through it before.
Danielle Ethridge and her five children were inside the Calloway Cove Apartments when it caught fire in July. Ethridge and three of her kids, Amira, Carla and Taj were severely burned. Nearly five months later, and they are still in a hospital recovering.
“I don’t think people understand that this road ahead is a painful, long road,” Andrea Grant said.
For most of us, it’s hard to imagine what it’s like to go through something like this. It’s not hard at all, for Grant.
“On August 14th, 2001, my brother and I came home from school, turned on the light switch and the house blows up,” she said.
When she heard about the Ethridge family, she said she reached out to the family immediately. She’s been collecting furniture to fill the four bedroom home. Grant is letting the family stay there for at least a year, rent free.
“We want the kids to come in smiling. I want them to come in and feel like their home,” Grant said.
Grant has been through more than 30 operations, and she has the scars to prove it. They inspire her to keep living.
“I’m ready to teach them how to adapt to life as a burn survivor. I’m ready to teach them life is worth living with scars,” Grant said.
Grant said the three kids will be coming home from the hospital this weekend. The mom can’t come home yet.
They still need beds for the kids, dressers, a dining room table, dishes and curtains.
To help, call Grant at 904-214-5092.
© 2020 Cox Media Group