JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Moments of fear led to a heroic rescue at a Jacksonville library on the Eastside.
Cheyla Scantling told Action News Jax, "It's not something I thought about. It was something that I had to do."
- 'We're not giving up until these guys are found:' Search to continue for missing firefighters
- The Pier Cantina & Sandbar to close its doors in September
- Reality star Todd Chrisley's daughter says father, brother blackmailing her with sex tape
- Coast Guard, other agencies searching for two missing firefighters off coast of Port Canaveral
- PHOTOS: Alligator seen climbing fence at Naval Air Station Jacksonville
She didn't have a moment to spare when 10-year-old Matthew George came to her barely breathing.
The fourth grader says, "One of the librarians gave me a lollipop and when I was playing on a computer and I swallowed it whole and it got stuck in my throat."
That's when Scantling came to the rescue.
"He was like, ‘I can't breathe Miss Cheyla,' so that's when I grabbed him did the Heimlich and the candy came up right there."
STAY UPDATED: Download the Action News Jax app for live updates on breaking stories
It's a situation Scantling never imagined she'd be in, but with the proper training she was able to be Matthew's hero.
"He's like family really so I definitely was going to be there for him. I definitely was going to help him and do what I had to do."
And Matthew calls her just that, "She's my hero."
Cox Media Group