JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A Jacksonville man who was driving in the I-295 North express lanes in the Mandarin area, has died after losing control of the car, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
Troopers said the crash happened at 9:38 p.m. Sunday, south of the Old St. Augustine Road exit.
The man, troopers said, was driving a Grand Cherokee, crossed over the express lane dividers and collided with a Chevrolet Camaro in the inside lane. FHP stated the Grand Cherokee crossed over the express lanes once more and overturned many times.
Content Continues Below
- Police: Shooting at Taco Bell in Jacksonville Beach leaves one seriously hurt
- Submit your photos: Action Sports Jax Gardner Minshew Lookalike Contest
- Restaurant Report: Rodent droppings found at Joe's Crab Shack, inspectors say
- Publix issues voluntary recall of deli cheese
- LIST: Halloween events in the Jacksonville area
The car came to a rest within the express lanes and the inside shoulder. That driver identified as, Thomas Clarke, 34, was taken to Orange Park Medical Center and pronounced dead.
Officials said the 51-year-old woman driving the Camaro was taken to a hospital and was later released.
The I-295 northbound lanes were closed for several hours while the crash was investigated.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.