Now, she is headed to Washington, D.C. Natalie McGriff, 8, was invited to the White House for the “United state of Women” summit.
“We know that Oprah is going to be there,” said her mother, Angie Nixon. “She really wants to see Michelle Obama.”
Natalie is also being honored for her for her efforts to empower and promote literacy amongst girls of color.
It’s a mission so close to her heart, she wrote a comic about it. The comic is inspired by Natalie, who used to hate her natural hair, the color of her skin … reading.
it’s important for little girls to love themselves and love to read and write,” Natalie said.
Natalie's book is also being produced into an animated series by a team in Los Angeles and is expected to be released in late 2016.
Trending on ActionNewsJax.com:
- Infant dies days after her surgeon-mother died in labor
- Boy seen on surveillance video cuddling neighbor's dog
- Mother fights attempted kidnapper, saves her daughter
- St. Johns deputies investigating reported robbery on State Road 16 near I-95
- Search continues for woman missing in water near Jekyll Island
Cox Media Group