JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said an officer rescued a 5-year-old from an overturned vehicle in a lake at Hanna Park. The Sheriff's Office said the child's mother, who was driving the vehicle, has died.
The officer who rescued the child had to cut through multiple deployed airbags to reach the child, according to the Sheriff's Office.
JSO said the father called 911. He was not with the mother and child at the time of the incident, but JSO said the mother called him and that's how the father knew to call 911.
JSO began searching for the mother and child after the father called 911. With the help of the JSO air unit, officers spotted the car overturned in a lake.
The Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department responded to the vehicle in the lake at Hanna Park and said that two people were inside the vehicle.
Action News Jax reporter Brittney Verner is at the scene and will have more information on Action News Jax FOX30 at 10.
- St. Augustine dad whose wife, newborn died after delivery: 'God is always going to be there'
- Restaurant Report: Inspectors find vioations at local First Watch, Yobe Frozen Yogurt
- WATCH: JEA boilers, stack implodes in Jacksonville
- Orange Park school appears to be moving out, months after eviction battle
- Man arrested after allegedly raping 4-year-old at McDonald's during field trip
© 2020 Cox Media Group