JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Two adults were arrested Saturday on child neglect charges according to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.
Police were called out to a home after a neighbor saw a child outside and found a man, identified as John Wingate, 36, passed out inside the home.
- JSO: Suspects with hammers rob Jared jewelry store located at the Town Center
- Families rallying around children of St. Simmons Island couple killed in head-on crash
- SJSO: Party thrown in model home in Ponte Vedra causes damage
- Photos: Men arrested, accused of using Macclenny home as 'market place' for drugs
- 3-month-old baby girl dies in sweltering car after mother forgets her
A JSO police report says the neighbor attempted to wake Wingate several times before getting him to respond. The report says he also "appeared to be under the influence of drugs."
When officers arrived at the home, they spoke with Jessica Miller, 33, an employee at Wolfson Children's Hospital, who answered the door, the report stated.
Miller was informed that a neighbor called police concerned for the child's safety.
When asked who was watching the child, Miller pointed to her husband, Wingate, who was passed out on the ground in the living room, according to police. Miller also told police she worked last night and asked Wingate to watch the child while she slept, the arrest report stated.
Officers called first responders, concerned for Wingate's safety as he was not awake.
Once Wingate was awakened, he was questioned and was arrested, alongside Miller.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.