ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. — The St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office is looking to speak with people believed to have shot an intruder and left him dead on the side of the road.
Deputies received the call around 11 p.m. Sunday after neighbors heard gunshots on Christopher Street.
SJSO Cmdr. Chuck Mulligan said they believe there were two people who tried to forcibly enter into someone else’s home and that’s when a deadly fight broke out. Deputies said Carlos Javon Sanders was one of the intruders; he was found dead near the home.
“The door was being forcibly kicked open that the individuals inside the residence fired upon those individuals and that one individual is deceased,” said Mulligan.
Sanders' alleged partner and the gunman haven’t been located, so investigators have been relying on witnesses’ testimonies and the evidence collected.
“We’d really like to speak with the occupant of this house and the shooter to get their side of the story. We would ask them to give us a call and sit down with the detectives and talk,” said Mulligan.
Mulligan said there was a gun lying next to Sanders. He told us the shooting may be a possible self-defense incident.
“There is a potential that this is a self-defense type issue, but we have not heard from the other side,” said Mulligan.
Trending on ActionNewsJax.com:
- As the shootings unfolded, a horror for one mother via text
- Family: Man from Jacksonville waiting for surgery after being shot at Orlando nightclub
- Pulse nightclub hostage texted Orlando police: 'He just reloaded, please be careful'
- Police release names of victims in Orlando mass shooting
- Alleged shooter's father says his son was angry over 'men kissing'
Cox Media Group