JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Donna Crump-Piedra will now serve time behind bars for the death of her son Jayden Piedra.
Crump-Piedra was emotional inside the courtroom on Thursday and she stood with her back toward the cameras while she wiped her eyes with tissues.
- Tumblr reports man with HIV uploading photo of himself having sexual relations with child
- Family: 19-year-old found shot to death in Arlington apartments was nine months pregnant
- Local mom hit by debris from nearby crash; driver takes off and smashes pumpkins
- Jacksonville armed robbery suspects sought, police say
- LIST: Halloween events in the Jacksonville area
There were multiple times she broke down and cried as she entered into a plea deal instead of going through with a trial.
Crump-Piedra pleaded guilty to child neglect and culpable negligence.
Action News Jax has been following this story since it first broke in February.
Her son Jayden Piedra was shot and killed while playing with another boy.
Police said she and her boyfriend Lephabion Griggs left the gun unsecured while they were asleep.
The night it happened, Crump-Piedra spoke only to Action News Jax.
“I don’t know what I’m going to do without my baby. That’s my best friend. He’s everything to me. Both my kids are,” Crump-Piedra said.
Both she and her boyfriend were arrested shortly after.
Crump-Piedra will be serving seven years in the Department of Corrections followed by three years of probation.
The judge also asked that she take additional parenting classes.
Jayden’s father was also inside the courtroom and he spoke to the judge after the sentencing.
“She’s a great mother. Things happen and she made a mistake,” he told the judge.
He didn’t want to go on camera but he said even though he lost his son in the end, he can forgive her.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.