FOLKSTON, Ga. - Two groups of inmates broke out into a fight causing a riot in the D. Ray Janes Correctional Facility -- Watch Action News Jax CBS47 for a live report.
Tuesday UPDATE: Action News Jax has received new information regarding the prison riot at D. Ray James Correctional Facility in Folkston, Georgia:
- On Monday, April 22 at 8:05 p.m. there was a "large group of inmates" involved in an altercation
- Two "geographic inmate groups" began fighting each other
- The issue was contained and the facility is secured
- No inmates escaped the prison
- "There was no threat to public safety and the community"
"Two geographic inmate groups becoming involved in numerous physical altercations with each other."— Elizabeth Pace (@PaceAnJax) April 23, 2019
This is a press release from the prison. We're working to find who was involved in each group, if any inmates were hurt, or if the facility will change any of its procedures. pic.twitter.com/pGO9u2zh4a
Multiple ambulances were staged at D. Ray James prison in Folkston, Georgia after what individuals who live in the area are calling a possible riot.
The company that runs the prison, The GEO Group, is not releasing information at this time, but the company did say that the situation is contained and that there’s no threat to the community.
The public information officer of the prison told Action News Jax reporter Russell Colburn that none of the staff in the prison was hurt.
This is a developing story. Refresh this page, follow @ActionNewsJax on Twitter and watch Action News Jax for the latest.
- Sri Lanka explosions: Easter Sunday blasts at churches, hotels kill more than 200
- Church’s parking lot vandalized after someone did doughnuts in it
- JSO: 2-year-old girl shot in the foot off East 44th Street
- FHP: Head-on crash leaves 2 dead
- Easter bunny hops in, throws punches during fight in Florida
© 2019 Cox Media Group.