BRUNSWICK, Ga. - “When we came out, she was on the ground at the back of the van and to see her face, that’s all I see, her face – like she’s saying, ‘Help me,'” Sandra Cohen said.
Cohen still can’t believe the chaos Monday. There were officers, pools of blood and evidence markers surrounding her home.
It all started when she and Erica Williams, who she considers a daughter, were inside laughing and watching a woman get her hair done.
Witnesses are calling Aldrid Spaulding III a hero. The off duty Brunswick PD officer saved a woman who was being stabbed. I'll have more @ 5 pic.twitter.com/uBCGtokvxy— Erica Bennett (@EricaANjax) July 4, 2017
Williams took a phone call, then went outside.
“My 8-year-old grandson came in and said, 'Mama, it’s somebody out there stabbing Auntie Erica in the neck,'” Cohen said.
Cohen said she jumped up and immediately ran next door to the apartment where Aldrid Spaulding III lives. Spaulding is a Brunswick Police officer.
He was off duty at the time, but came out and tried to diffuse the situation. Ultimately, Spaulding shot David Bell so he could save Williams, investigators said.
“He looked like he was – he hadn’t had any sleep for days. He just looked like – you could actually see the devil in him. Like, he was really trying to kill her,” Cohen said when describing the suspect.
2) This is Erica Williams, the woman who was attacked by her ex Monday night. I'm told she had surgery, but is "doing well." pic.twitter.com/4C4q6yE7IT— Erica Bennett (@EricaANjax) July 4, 2017
Bell died from his injuries at the hospital. Cohen said Officer Spaulding is a young man who recently joined the force. She said both he and her grandson are heroes for coming to the rescue.
“It’s by the grace of God that she’s still here, and we thank God for that. We really do,” Cohen said.
Williams is recovering from her injuries and was released from the hospital Tuesday. The Brunswick Police Department requested the Georgia Bureau of Investigation take over the case.
3) The attack happened in the parking lot of this parking lot on N Street. pic.twitter.com/OOuQBhtDy6— Erica Bennett (@EricaANjax) July 4, 2017
4) Witnesses say David Bell, the man who attacked Williams, didn't take it well when they broke up. They believe he followed her Monday.— Erica Bennett (@EricaANjax) July 4, 2017
5) We were there when a man showed up to pressure wash the parking lot. We won't be showing you, but there were some remaining blood spots. pic.twitter.com/6Ox38btql4— Erica Bennett (@EricaANjax) July 4, 2017
6) UPDATE: the victim, Erica Williams, is officially out of the hospital and understandably banged up. Her neck is bandaged; walk is ginger.— Erica Bennett (@EricaANjax) July 4, 2017
© 2019 Cox Media Group.