CLAY COUNTY, Fla. - Action News Jax is working to learn more about an incident at the Oakleaf vs. Ed White High School football game that temporarily stopped the homecoming game.
Watch the briefing from officials after the game (content continues below):
WHAT WE KNOW:
- Clay County Schools police and the Clay County Sheriff's Office is at the scene.
- The game has reportedly resumed around 9:25 p.m.; CCSO confirmed at 9:45 p.m. via tweet.
- CCSO tweeted at 9:29 p.m. that there is no active shooter event.
- CCSO confirmed that no shots were fired.
- CCSO said deputies tried to make contact with those who called 911 saying they saw a gun or hear gunshots, but those persons could not be located or contacted.
- No arrests have been made.
The PIO for the Clay County Sheriff's Office sent Action News Jax reporter Russell Colburn the following statement:
Russell we don’t believe there were any guns or shots fired. Clay County School Board police were working the event and we sent officers to assist. It appears students yelled either “gun” or “run” causing a panic. The game resumed and left units on scene to assist to make sure everyone felt safe. Sheriff Daniels has stated in the past if and when needed we will respond to assist at the schools. Keith
Hope this helps.
And no arrest have been made on our part but you also need to check with school police as well.
Assistant Chief Keith Smith
CONTENT CONTINUES BELOW:
.@oneclayschools: There was never any threat. No shots and no gun. They don’t believe there’s a suspect. Superintendent making statement tonight around 11. @ActionNewsJax will bring it to you. @WOKVNews @BrittneyVerner @TenikkaANjax @BachmanANjax— Russell Colburn (@RussellANjax) September 21, 2019
🔺UPDATE: The Oakleaf football game has resumed play. CCSO deputies are resuming from the scene. We have CONFIRMED there were NO SHOTS FIRED! https://t.co/CPomANgdK1— Clay County Sheriff's Office, FL (@ccsofl) September 21, 2019
There is an active investigation at Oakleaf High School. Clay County Sheriff’s Office has multiple deputies on scene and have confirmed there is no Active Shooter Event. pic.twitter.com/98aupuFhBE— Clay County Sheriff's Office, FL (@ccsofl) September 21, 2019
GAME HAS RESUMED https://t.co/r6pSljOEQ9— Russell Colburn (@RussellANjax) September 21, 2019
#ANjaxBREAKING: Oakleaf-Ed White game stopped due to incident. Police responding. As soon as we know more, we’ll update. @ActionNewsJax @WOKVNews @BachmanANjax @TenikkaANjax @NewsGriff @BrittneyVerner— Russell Colburn (@RussellANjax) September 21, 2019
- Window decal allows Clay deputies to stop your car in the early-morning hours without cause
- Health inspectors found dozens of roaches at Little Caesars, Crafty Crab
- Missing woman who may have been carjacked by her boyfriend texted for help, JSO report says
- Minshew mania, Jalen Ramsey, Mike Tyson and a wedding at the Jags vs. Titans game
- Plan to change St. Augustine traffic patterns prompts concern from locals
© 2019 Cox Media Group.