JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Four dogs were removed from an Eastside home Friday night after police say a man died as the result of an animal attack.
The dog's owner is defending his pets and took us inside his backyard where the attack happened.
Investigators say the dogs may have left their yard and dragged victim back in.
The dogs’ owner, Lephus Felton, believes his dogs were provoked before the attack. But Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office investigators and neighbors that we spoke with say that wasn’t the case.
- Owner of dogs seized after fatal Jacksonville animal attack says his dogs were provoked
- Police: Man fatally attacked by animal on Jacksonville's Eastside
- Action News Jax Investigates: Police respond to home of dogs that mauled man to death
“My dogs ain’t no vicious dogs. They’re vicious to protect this yard,” Felton said.
Felton owns the four dogs. Our crew watched animal control officers remove the dogs from Felton’s home off Van Buren and Jessie streets.
“My dog is trained to protect this yard I have signs, beware of dog signs, all over,” Felton said.
Felton showed us where the deadly attack happened in his backyard.
“It happened right here. How are they going to get him and pull him back in?” Felton said.
Felton said the unidentified victim, a man police say is in his 60s, provoked the animals.
But witnesses tell Action News Jax and JSO investigators the victim was taking out the garbage at this dumpster behind Felton’s yard when the dogs went under this fence and dragged him back here, killing him.
“Looks like they went underneath the fence by all accounts we have,” said JSO Sgt. C.H. Ford.
“No. How are they going to do that there?” said Felton.
Felton said the only time his dogs have shown signs of aggression is if passersby would tease them.
JSO said it is too soon to tell which dogs actually attacked and what will happen to them. Investigators said they are working with the State Attorney’s Office to decide if the owners will face charges.
Trending on ActionNewsJax.com:
- Woman, 6-year-old daughter attacked outside Kohl's in Fleming Island
- Man receives giant tip after kind act at the grocery store
- Woman says airline unloaded bomb-sniffing dog upside down
- Report: Jacksonville teen, man try to steal safe, put it in Mini Cooper
- Daughter of couple killed in plane crash pledges to take care of siblings
© 2019 Cox Media Group.