Owner of ‘House of Horrors' could be released from jail in 3 months

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The man who lived in a Southside home where human remains were found could be released in three months if no further charges are brought against him.

Russell Tillis, 54, appeared in Duval County Court Monday morning.

He has been in jail since last year on violation of injunction for protection and making threats charges, unrelated to the remains found at his home on Bowden Circle East.

The judge denied Tillis’ defense motion for continuance during the court appearance.

Jury selection was supposed to start Monday for Tillis' trial. However, he pleaded no contest and was sentenced in court.

The judge sentenced Tillis to one year in prison for the injunction charge and 60 days for threatening police. He has a credit for 270 days served, so will serve 95 days for the charges.

Police said they do not yet know the identity of the woman whose remains were found at his home.

They said they believe she was between her teens and 30 years old. They also said she had shoulder-length brown hair at the time of her death.